Sunday, April 27, 2008

O-Well - Another Sad loss...

Barnsley 3 Charlton Athletic 0

I wasn't at the game; I didn't listen on the radio; and all I've seen were the brief goal highlights from Oakwell this morning on TV. I therefore won't make a large meal out of this potato.

It is a poor result; all three goals were where the ball was pinging around the penalty box, and "better" defending would have prevented all of the goals being conceded.

On the positive side - JonJo Shelvey made his debut, the youngest ever player to wear the red (or blue stripe) shirt for Charlton at just over 16 years old, and fellow youngster Scott Wagstaff also played as a sub for half an hour. Hopefully they will both get more game-time next week.

Alan Pardew is getting plenty of stick for not encouraging the team to finish the season on a high; it cannot be easy for him or the players, so I'm not going to jump on that bandwagon. What's done is done, and we all wish we had performed much better since February. Now we have to look forward to next season, and I'd prefer that was with Pardew in charge.

I now expect there to be more transfer activity than there was last year (I think 19 players came or went last summer..), but I sincerely hope that Pardew doesn't trot out the excuse about taking time for the team to gel once we fail to get a good result sometime next August.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Enter your email address below to subscribe to Charlton Athletic Online!


powered by Bloglet
Sports Business Directory - BTS Local
Custom Search